Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Have I Got Videos For You

"This week's odd-one-out round. Paul and Jon, your four are Harold "Hype" Williams, some happy slappers from West Bromwich, the MKTGONLINEIB and the Iberostar Alcúdia Park hotel, Playa de Muro, Mallorca."

"Is it the? What did you call it? The Muckt-gon-lee-nee-aye-bee? Is it the only one who looks like a robot which looks like it could do with getting out more?"

"No, actually it's the Iberostar Alcúdia Park hotel, Playa de Muro, Mallorca. Shall I tell you why?"

"No thanks."

"Well, I'll tell you anyway. It's the only one that doesn't make videos, but has videos made of it. In fact, there is one about it that appears at the top of the list of other videos to watch on YouTube next to this edition of 'Have I Got News For You', assuming you are watching S40E01 extended parts one to three and probably also assuming that you are watching it in Playa de Muro."

"And why's that exactly? Just because you're watching this particular show and because you're in - where's that place called again?"

"Playa de Muro. It's in Mallorca."

"Is it really. But that doesn't answer my question."

"I'm not sure why."

"But you play Sherlock Holmes, you should know why."

"They didn't have YouTube in my, erm, in Holmes's day. I think it's to do with intelligently figuring out the location of the user or something like that."

"Intelligent!? But if you're in this place, whatever it's called ..."

"Playa de Muro. It means the beach of the wall."

"In the beach of the wall, why would you want to know about a tourist hotel? You're not going to stay in it, if you're already there."

"That's a very good question."

"Yea, I know. That's why I asked it."

"In fact, the video is in Spanish as well. And I don't think this show has many Spanish viewers."

"So it's not intelligent at all, then."

"No, I suppose it isn't."

"So, why did you say it was, then? And this MKTGONLINEIB, how do we know it's a robot?"

"We don't. In fact it's probably a person."

"A robot's a person!? What is this? The return of the Borgs or something?"

"It's the name that appears under the video. The poster I think you call it. Or him. Or her. Anyway, shall we move on?"

"Yes, let's."


The above is of course made up, but is intended to raise a question about promotional videos and the like that are placed on the internet. Why would you, if you were in Playa de Muro, as in I was when I was watching the "Have I Got News For You" video, or anywhere else for that matter, be interested in a tourist hotel that's just up the road? I assume the video was placed because location was detected. But what's the good of that?

And this, if you're interested, is the video in question. There is something alarming about it. Not only can it detect where you are, it can also feature you in the video. At 0:37, who the hell is that bloke sitting by the bar?




Any comments to andrew@thealcudiaguide.com please.

No comments: