Sunday, April 12, 2009

Frog In The Window

Returning once more to the theme of tourism promotion and what the Mallorcan tourism wallahs should be doing or not, I wonder if they have thought about some internet banner advertising. I mention this as the BBC website has featured something known as "the Greek experience", which could be interpreted in a way that the slogan isn't intended to mean, but which nevertheless looks quite pleasant - shot of the Acropolis, blue skies and a not unattractive young woman; rather what you might expect in other words. But it seems that this form of promotion, rather than being something that might be ignored when one goes to the site and immediately clicks for the sport section, is less than potentially just subliminal. Having gone to that sport section, there was an item about Matthew Hoggard and his desire to get back into the England test team. Vaguely interesting I thought, so hit the link for the video. Odd. The Hoggster had changed. In fact he had disappeared. He was now a Greek experience; indeed he was "the Greek experience". What a good idea. Sir Alex Ferguson berating a referee, or so you might think. Go to the video. No. It's the Mallorcan experience. Excellent means of advertising. I commend it.


The lack of warmth may be deterring the Albufera frogs from entertaining us by night with their croaking chorus of thousands. Or perhaps there is another reason. Deadly Chytrid fungus. Something I admit that had escaped me, before Les kindly pointed out that the local frog and toad population has been inadvertently infected with it. As far as I am aware this does not turn them hopping mad and ready to seek out humans and leap at their throats, but the fungus can be bad news for the frog and toad population. However, I must have had this on my mind as I had a dream featuring a large black frog sitting under the window that was acting in a threatening manner. Anyway, don't let anyone worry. The frogs and toads are not on the march, or hop - yet. And as it was Les who brought this to my attention, I feel it is only right to reciprocate by pointing out that somewhere in the vast bank of material that is the Vamps mega-karaoke are probably some frogs. If not, then there will doubtless be some AC/DC. For those who enjoy head-banging, playing an air guitar and wearing schoolboy shorts, I have to inform you that AC/DC will be live - in Alcúdia of all places. Well, not quite, but "The Bon Scott Band", a tribute outfit, will be at the bullring next Saturday. I shall pass on more info on the WHAT'S ON BLOG. Quite an achievement to be playing live in some respects, given that Bon ceased to be Bon almost thirty years ago. But, suffice it to say that I will be washing my hair that evening. Mind you, there is clearly some AC/DC interest locally, as Toni at Pippers in Puerto Alcúdia told me that he was off to Barcelona to see the real thing last week. Unless it was "The Bon Scott Band" and no-one pointed that out to him.


Oh, and apropos sheep (from yesterday) and quite coincidentally, Karen at Foxes tells me that there is a sheep a couple of houses down from where they live. It will probably soon be an ex-sheep, a sort of Bon Scott sheep I suppose, but meantime its presence is driving the local dog population nuts: mad, hopping mad - like frogs.


QUIZ
Yesterday's title - James (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGfnw4YscBA). Today's title - you will be doing very well if you know which '60s act did this; today they (he) would be referred to as psyche folk or something like that. Think jewels and pigs.

(PLEASE REPLY TO andrew@thealcudiaguide.com AND NOT VIA THE COMMENTS THINGY HERE.)

No comments: