Friday, October 24, 2008

It Was Just My Imagination

Déjà vu. I told you so. These were just two immediate responses I had yesterday. Remember on 25 September (The Sun Ain't Shining No More) I predicted that there would be stuff coming out about winter tourism and things needing to be done, and that I followed it up on 2 October (Here I Go Again) because someone had emailed wanting to know what sort of "attractions" I had in mind to maybe help out. You might just remember also that in that second piece I finished by mentioning the fact that the editor of "The Bulletin" had once called for a bit of imagination. That was what led to those responses of yesterday. I went back to last year and found the entry for 2 November, not quite to the day but not far off; that was where the thing about some imagination came up.

Déjà vu and I told you so. I don't like to seem boastfully vindicated, but I did tell you so. You see, yesterday there was another editorial, and what did it contain? Not one but two calls for "some imagination". What happens here? Are old editorials dusted down each year and then rejigged a bit? Not that I am saying that there is anything wrong with calling for some imagination, just that it's the same old song with no remedy bar a bit of shopping and golf. There was also something about help from tour operators to get things going in winter. What tour operators? And why would they? Only if it makes good business sense would they, and the airline wing of Thomson has cut right back on its flights, and other airlines are reducing their services, too. This is not only down to economic troubles at present.

Look, I don't want to sound like this is an endless having-a-go, because I do, believe it or not, have a great deal of respect for the paper. But we go here every year, even down to the same use of words. Everyone knows what the problems are. The issue is not the problems; the issue is what, if anything, can be the solutions. Well, to that end, there may be some movement in the form of a new association formed in Calvia but intending to embrace the whole of the Balearics. It was well publicised in "The Bulletin" both yesterday and the day before. It caught my eye, so much so that I wanted to get in touch with the guy. There were no contact details appended to the articles. Failing to get a call back from the paper with some, I looked the gentleman up in the phone book and spoke to him yesterday. Jim Bryceland is his name and the organisation is aimed at not only British and Irish residents but also businesses and workers; it was the business bit that really intrigued me and aspects of what Mr. Bryceland is interested in, which includes winter tourism. The group has a rather unwieldy Spanish name but here goes - Asociación de Britanicos, Irlandeses Residentes, Empresarios y Trabajadores en las Baleares (the Balearic association of British and Irish residents, businesspeople and workers). Don't know what the acronym's likely to be, but I guess it needs one. It was clear that this has nothing to do with an existing group with an acronym - ESRA, the English Speaking Residents Association.

You know, there are probably any number of people knocking around who have bits of imagination. But these bits probably just fall on some deaf ears at a bar, or they are raised and are greeted with a patronising smile that says it can't be done or it's been tried, or any of those excuses that are the killers of creative thought. Perhaps, just perhaps, here is a body that might release and give flight to some imagination. I don't know. I'll have to find out. But it looks as though I might be keeping you posted.


A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A TREE
On the forum for thealcudiaguide.com there was an unusual enquiry the other day. "Rusty" had posted a photo of a tree that grows in the old town and was interested to know what it was called. From my previous entry about plants in the garden, you might have gathered that I'm no expert on either horticulture or indeed arboriculture. Anyway, I went and had a look at the trees - they grow around the new square by Can Ramis, i.e. next to the parking area. I'd thought, mistakenly, that they might be some sort of orange tree. What the hell do I know? Not much. The trees bore no evidence of fruit; orange-tree possibility at a close. So I went along to the tourist office in the town. An explanation, a phone call to a man who does know, and what do you know, the answer. Ficus Nitida. I duly went onto the forum and imparted the good news, which was very gratefully received. Satisfying. And hats off to the charming Cati at the old town tourist office. I can't promise an answer to everything, but for most queries there is a way of getting an answer.

The photo of the tree and the exchange can be found here: http://www.thealcudiaguide.com/forum/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=149


QUIZ
Yesterday's title - Blur (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKCoBt43HWE). Today's title - back for the second time in ten days - brilliant. Bonus question for the tree heading: who was this?

(PLEASE REPLY TO andrew@thealcudiaguide.com AND NOT VIA THE COMMENTS THINGY HERE.)

No comments: