Monday, March 17, 2008

Wired For Sound

I walk the streets. This street, next street. I walk the streets, and often I don't get to the end of the street. It happens all the time. Bump into somebody or they bump into me, or call out from a bar as I pass. Today it happened, several times, like many days. I was going along the road by the car parking in Puerto Alcúdia, taking care of falling masonry and heavy equipment barging its way across the pavement. There was this lady. No, I didn't recognise her. It was the rather racy outfit and the sunglasses, and then she told me. Of course, she used to work at La Villa.

La Villa is one of Alcúdia's numerous Chinese restaurants, but it is arguably the best. Put it this way, it features in a recent a la carte type publication. Not something that your bog-standard Chinky would normally aspire to. I have been going there for years, taking photos there for years. And that was the thing. She had worked there for 15 years and was wondering if I had a record of her time there. It is really quite odd what you get stopped in the street and asked.

Then there was earlier in the day, passing Sandra´s Bar, and out runs Bill and is keen to show me something. Head phones. Head phones, as in headphones in clubs and discos and anywhere else that they might be useful. First I'd heard of the idea. The deal is that clubbers (or others) get a set of wireless headphones and they can hear the music through them. Sounds a bit odd to me, but there is a big plus point in that clubs and bars that give out too much noise and too many reverberations can now get round this by having, supposedly, total silence save for the muffled sound of headsets. Except it wouldn't be silent. Firstly, there would be people screaming their heads off trying to talk to each other and secondly I can't quite imagine a club without music booming out - without the aid of headphones. But apparently it is already a bit of a thing, and so Bill's looking to get it off the ground in Mallorca. Fair enough. Here's the link that tells you how it all works - www.hedfoneparty.com - and here's Bill's number, 637 987 576.

The idea may have legs. Bars have become hamstrung by rules on noise, especially that which means they have to use limiters on music volume. So these headphones could be a good idea, even if it does seem a tad bizarre.


QUIZ
Yesterday - Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield. Today's title - wouldn't find him down a club nowadays, one imagines.

(PLEASE REPLY TO andrew@thealcudiaguide.com AND NOT VIA THE COMMENTS THINGY HERE.)

No comments: